Whether you use a juicer or a high-speed blender to get those fruits and vegetables into your daily diet, there’s a reason you do so. Fresh, organic fruits and vegetables contain a pharmacy of beneficial vitamins and minerals that our bodies crave—and are powerful in the fight against diseases and poor health.
But which ones are best for warding off cancer? Cancer is a disease that seems to be on the rise day by day, in all walks of life, all ages and even in people who seem perfectly healthy. Although it’s hard to say categorically that fresh, organic produce can cure cancer, it certainly gives your body the best shot for preventing cancer, and for healing when cancer strikes.
Here’s some of our favorite fruits to throw in the blender or juicer to boost our bodies’ cancer-fighting ability, to help make us a superhero in fighting disease. You might be surprised at how many of your favorite fruits are powerhouses!
- Oranges, grapefruits and lemons: These bright fruits contain limonene, a phytochemical that stimulates cancer-killing cells and may break down cancer-causing substances, as well as vitamin C, beta carotene and folic acid. They also contain monoterpenes, a substance that sweeps carcinogens out of the body. Grapefruit in particular is thought to inhibit the proliferation of breast-cancer cells in vitro.
- Papaya: Not only is this bright orange fruit full of beta carotene, vitamins C and E, flavonoids, a set of B vitamins, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium and magnesium, the combination of these properties promote the health of the cardiovascular system. The folate, vitamins C, E and Bs and fiber also have been shown to fight together against colon cancer.
- Raspberries: These delicious red berries have a combination of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients that can actually send a signal to cancer cells that encourages them to start a cycle of programmed cell death, and to signal the non-cancerous cells with encouragement to stay as they are. And we’re happy to point out that studies show how organic raspberries are significantly higher in antioxidants than their traditionally grown counterparts.
- Pomegranate: This red fruit with the jewel-like seeds inside is actually the most powerful antioxidant of all fruits! A UCLA study showed that pomegranate juice appeared to suppress the growth of cancer cells and increase cancer cell death in lab testing. The study suggests that it is a combination of the folate, potassium, high levels of polyphenols, vitamins E and B6 and pantothenic acid that create this anti-cancer ability.
- Red grapes: Not only are grapes easy to juice or blend, their skins are full of resveratrol, an inhibitor of the enzymes that can stimulate cancer cell growth and suppress the immune system’s response. Cancer-preventing bioflavonoids are also in those red skins, as well as ellagic acid, a compound that appears to aid in slowing the growth of tumors.
- Turmeric: No, it’s not a fruit technically, it’s a root that is an excellent cancer fighter. Studies show that turmeric can start a self-destruction process in cancerous and damaged body cells. Plus, it increases liver function and is full of antibacterial properties, making it great for treating many types of cancer, including breast, colon, lung and blood cancers. (It’s also great for fighting diabetes, Alzheimers, cardiovascular disease and arthritis!)
- Ginger: A root like turmeric, and actually related, ginger is another way to boost your cancer-fighting immunity! Ginger extracts have prevented colorectal carcinomas in lab testing, plus gingerols, the most active phytonutrients in ginger, have been shown to kill ovarian cancer cells during studies.
So, whether or not you have a history of cancer in your family, are recovering from having cancer, or just want to have the healthiest immune system on the block, make sure to get as many of these fruits in your daily diet as possible. Whether you eat them whole or blend them up, you’ll be getting the benefits of nature’s purest pharmacy.
How often do you juice or make smoothies? What’s your favorite morning juice or smoothie recipe? Have you tried any of the juices and smoothies from our Go Raw L.I.F.E. Center?
Pomegranate: © Melis82 | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images
Raspberries: © Dbar99 | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images
Papaya: © Rcc58js | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images
Ginger: © Irynarasko | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images